Sunday, December 11, 2011

Getting The Right Computer For Your Trading Business

I always like to compare the trading business to your run of the mill physical business. Let’s choose my personal favorite, a pizzeria. You can have the dough, the cheese, the tomatoes and the pizza boxes, but without one essential item, you can’t be in business. You need a pizza oven to cook it all and produce your finished product. As a trader, your pizza oven is your trading PC.

It’s important to have the right stuff (a fancy name for hardware) in your trading PC. Thankfully, prices are low enough that you should be able to afford what you need without breaking the bank. There are lots of options when you build out your PC, but make sure you spend the money the right way. Don’t by useless upgrades like deluxe sound or video cards. I have NEVER updated my sound card, and my video card just gets a standard upgrade to handle multiple monitors, otherwise I let it be.

There are specialty sites that custom build computers just for trading. While I’ve never owned one, I’ve traded with traders who have. I have to say that these are awesome displays of power. These machines can be pricey, and that may limit some traders from getting one of these absolute monsters. That doesn’t mean that you can’t put together something that will do the job very well.

My first ever trading computer was custom built for me. These guys weren’t into trading but they knew how much power and speed I needed (um, the most possible?) and that I wanted the ability for multiple monitors. The price tag wasn’t cheap, but it wasn’t crazy expensive. The problem was that it was a local shop, so their costs were high, and after tagging on some profit, I overpaid. The best part was the service. If something was wrong, someone would come over and fix it right away. That was the big advantage of having the PC built by someone local.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones